Buckle up for an electric episode, driving hard into everything firefighters need to know about electric vehicle fires. Puns notwithstanding, Zam and Janelle are thrilled to speak with Patrick Durham, a captain and training officer with the Troy (Michigan) Fire Department who also works as a mechanical engineer. Durham started StacheD Training to educate firefighters on a variety of technical topics, including the unique aspects of responding to EV incidents, so he’s the right person to answer all of Zam’s scenario-based questions about how to handle various EV fire situations.
Plus, we get into all this:
- Durham’s takes on the various products for extinguishing EV fires
- Tips for determining whether it’s an EV battery fire or a standard vehicle fire
- How long it takes for an EV fire to burn itself out
Watch the show:
- Don’t miss: The smart SCBA analogy to lithium-ion battery fires
- Bonus resource: Electric vehicle fires: Where the waiting game wins
- Hot seat sneak peek: Durham’s dream car … but is it an EV?