Trending Topics

‘Unsustainable': Minn. officials close FD in move to be served by neighboring 24/7-staffed department

Citing staffing challenges and sustainability concerns, Lexington city leaders moved emergency response to the Spring Lake Park-Blaine-Mounds View Fire Department

Bill FR1 EMS1 news images - 2026-04-30T101048.951.jpg

A Lexington Fire Department firehouse.

Lexington Fire Rescue/Facebook

By Kristi Miller
Pioneer Press

LEXINGTON, Minn. — The city of Lexington has entered into an agreement with a neighboring fire department to provide emergency services after terminating its fire chief and determining that its own department is no longer sustainable.

Fire Chief Mike Mohler was terminated March 26, the same day the city enacted an interim management and operations agreement with the Spring Lake Park-Blaine-Mounds View Fire Department (known as SBM), which took over services. Mohler, who had been with the department since 2011, became chief in 2025 after Chief Erik Edwards retired.

| NEXT: Doing the job with a lot less: A fire officer’s perspective in an understaffed department

“The Lexington Fire Department is no longer sustainable,” Lexington City Administrator Bill Petracek said. “Times have changed and Lexington needed to change direction with who provides fire protection for our community.”

SBM Chief Dan Retka said after conducting a review of Lexington’s operations, staffing and readiness under an administrative agreement, SBM assumed full responsibility for emergency response when the city took its department offline.

“Due to ongoing staffing challenges within the Lexington Fire Department, the city decided to take the department offline for emergency response,” Retka said. “At that point, SBM assumed responsibility for providing fire and emergency services to ensure there was no disruption in coverage for the community.”

Retka said residents will now be served by a 24/7 staffed response model with trained personnel and an established command structure.

He said SBM’s station in Circle Pines allows for fast response times to Lexington.

“Our priority throughout this process has been to maintain a safe, consistent and professional level of service for Lexington residents,” Retka said.

Lexington is still evaluating long-term options for fire protection services. SBM said it will continue providing service under the current agreement while those discussions continue.

“We want to recognize the Lexington Fire Department’s long-standing service and commitment, and that of its firefighters,” Retka said. “Their dedication to the community over the years has not gone unnoticed.”

The Lexington Fire Department was founded in 1954.

“We remain committed to collaboration, transparency and the delivery of high-quality emergency response to the communities we serve,” Retka said.

Trending
Hazmat teams were called to the scene, which Mountainair Mayor Peter Nieto said likely involved narcotics
The federal grant will help add eight firefighter-EMTs, but Somers officials remain divided over how to cover future matching costs
Mayor Jacob Frey selected the former Oakland and Hartford fire chief to lead a department facing staffing strain and firefighter trauma
The $150,000 contribution will keep early detection screenings moving after federal funding cuts put the firefighter wellness program at risk

©2026 MediaNews Group, Inc.
Visit at twincities.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Company News
The application period is open from May 4 to May 7 at noon ET