PAWTUCKET, R.I. — Four Pawtucket firefighters who were terminated during a drug investigation will be reinstated, including one set to get a promotion.
Pawtucket Public Safety Director and Police Chief Tina Goncalves said the city first learned of possible criminal activity within the fire department while investigating firefighter Terrence O’Neill, WPRI reported.
| MORE: Can fire departments prohibit firefighter off-duty medical marijuana use?
The investigation found several firefighters were suspected of buying, using or selling marijuana on and off duty, according to Goncalves.
WPRI reported in April 2025 that several firefighters had been placed on administrative leave. The city later confirmed eight firefighters were under internal investigation.
In total, four firefighters were fired, three sought retirement and one resigned. Two more firefighters were terminated a month later after separate investigations.
In October, the six terminated firefighters sued the city for wrongful termination, seeking reinstatement.
The lawsuit argued they were fired solely for off-duty cannabis use, which is legal under Rhode Island law with some exceptions for hazardous or safety-sensitive jobs.
The firefighters said Pawtucket had no policy restricting cannabis use within 24 hours of a shift and no evidence that they were under the influence before reporting for duty.
Goncalves said the investigation uncovered illegal conduct despite the lack of a policy governing off-duty cannabis use.
“You don’t want a firefighter, a police officer, or anybody offering any type of first responder assistance to be under the influence of any kind of narcotic or alcohol,” Goncalves said. “So that is very concerning.”
Goncalves said the six terminated firefighters entered arbitration in recent months. Four have reached settlements with the city that allow them to return to work under certain conditions. Goncalves said she could not discuss the terms.
Gomes returned Jan. 1 with $12,658 in back pay, while Trabulsi returned March 15 and LeBlanc is set to return July 16 without back pay. Lyles returned this month after a 60-day suspension and is expected to be promoted to lieutenant under the arbitrator’s decision.
The union declined to comment while arbitration continues for the remaining firefighters. The city said three others retired after 20 to 30 years with the department.