Trending Topics

Lithium-ion batteries cause fire inside Maine firehouse

Investigators determined that multiple lithium-ion batteries charging inside the Stacyville firehouse were the cause of the fire

By Bill Carey

STACYVILLE, Maine — Multiple lithium-ion batteries charging at the Stacyville Fire Department caught fire on May 22, causing damage and injuring a firefighter.

Fire departments from Sherman, Patten, Mt. Chase, Island Falls, Oakfield and East Millinocket responded to assist Stacyville firefighters during the fire. They quickly extinguished the fire, but the building and several pieces of equipment were damaged, NEWS CENTER Maine reported.

The state fire marshal’s office found the fire started on a shelf where lithium-ion batteries were charging. Officials deemed it accidental.

One firefighter was transported to a hospital and treated for a non-fire-related leg injury.

Responding to lithium-ion battery fires:
Li-ion batteries are here to stay and it’s on firefighters to keep up with advances in battery technology

Lithium-ion Battery Fire Resources