As urban sprawl expands, so does the footprint of the wildland-urban interface (WUI), that space where more populated communities meets wildland or rural areas. The wildland-urban interfaces is a particularly challenging area in which to fight fires, with traditionally structural fire departments working side by side with other agencies to protect residential structures, businesses and vast open spaces. The WUI resource page shares key news about major WUI incidents as well as best practices for fighting these challenging blazes.
- A failure of imagination: The Our Lady of the Angels School tragedy
- Arbitrator orders embattled Ore. FD, union to renegotiate contract, wages
- Veteran Mo. FF files disability discrimination lawsuit
- New Orleans FFs call for training, equipment to fight swamp fires
- Texas firefighter dies while preparing to respond to call