Outdated N.H. fire station fails safety inspection
Issues include crumbling asbestos walls, a basement with standing water, old wiring, building decay and a lack of equipment decontamination areas
BOW, N.H. — The Bow Fire Department has been working in a cramped, outdated building that has been found in violation of state fire and life safety regulations, including the lack of an on-site fire alarm and sprinklers.
The building at 2 Knox Road was built in 1954. According to a video on the town’s website, produced by Fire Capt. Mitchell Harrington, the building’s major issues are crumbling asbestos walls, a basement with standing water, vintage electrical wiring, pedestrian and vehicle traffic dangers, inadequate storage and office space, interior and exterior building decay and a lack of equipment decontamination areas. The garage overhead clearance is limited for fire engines. In addition, it costs $12,000 a year to heat.
“I find it troublesome to go out and enforce codes on the citizens of Bow when our own station does not meet many of these codes,” said Capt. Don Eaton in the video.
Full story: Bow’s fire station fails safety inspection