Wis. firefighter injured in flashover while attempting to rescue pets during house fire
Another firefighter was able to remove the injured firefighter, who received immediate care by EMS personnel at the scene
By Sarah Roebuck
MARINETTE, Wis. — A firefighter with the Marinette Fire Department was burned while attempting to rescue pets from a house fire, the department said in a news release.
Firefighters were dispatched to a residential structure fire on Tuesday around 7 p.m. In an attempt to rescue the pets trapped inside, a firefighter sustained burns due to a flashover.
Another firefighter was able to remove the injured firefighter. The injured firefighter received immediate care by EMS personnel at the scene.
The firefighter was taken to a hospital and then transferred to another hospital in Milwaukee for treatment of his burns. The department said the firefighter is doing well and he is expected to be released in the next few days.
The department said due to the features of construction and the age of the structure, conditions rapidly deteriorated and interior operations had stopped. Firefighters then transitioned to exterior-only defensive operations.
A resident was also taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.