Trending Topics

Maine FFs avoid booby traps while fighting brush fire at homeless encampment

A game camera owner warned Scarborough firefighters about traps at the site, where holes and other deterrents had been set up to protect belongings

By Drew Johnson
Portland Press Herald

SCARBOROUGH, Maine — Firefighters combating a small brush fire in Scarborough on Wednesday encountered traps apparently placed by someone to protect their belongings in an area frequented by unhoused people.

The fire took place “within a transient encampment,” the Maine Forest Service said.

| WEBINAR: What Firefighters Want in 2025

Fire crews responded early Wednesday afternoon to reports of smoke coming from the woods off Holmes Road in the area of Bridges Drive, near Interstate 95.

As crews arrived, a person who has game cameras in the area called to warn first responders of traps on the land, John Brennan, Scarborough’s deputy fire chief, said in a phone interview.

“They had dug some small holes in an effort to protect the belongings they had out there,” Brennan said, along with other items intended to “deter someone from going in there.”

No firefighters were injured by the traps, Brennan said.

“We just used caution, made sure we were paying attention to what was on the ground, and we were able to extinguish the fire,” he said.

The fire was contained to a roughly 25-by-25-foot area, he said, and the Maine Forest Service has taken over and is investigating the cause.

The fire “occurred within a transient encampment,” Terri Teller, a Maine forest ranger and fire prevention specialist, said in an email Wednesday evening.

Brennan also noted unhoused people are known to frequent the area.

The cause is still under investigation, Teller said.

Fire danger in southern Maine was high Wednesday amid weeks of elevated risk because of an ongoing drought.

Trending
From application prep to submission, FireGrantsHelp provides customized support that saves departments time and boosts accuracy
Hennepin EMS official said the police’s swift, accurate tally of victims let medics move the wounded quickly to three hospitals
Monarez was fired less than a month after refusing to back “unscientific, reckless directives,” as four other senior CDC leaders resigned in protest
Providence officials replaced two ambulances that ran a 12,179 calls combined in 2024

© 2025 the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine).
Visit www.pressherald.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Company News
First Due powers operations for over 3,000 agencies across all local, state/provincial, and federal segments in the United States and Canada