Dog nearly burns down house after turning on microwave

A British fire department reported that a family husky activated the microwave with a pack of rolls inside, causing a small kitchen fire


Nelson Oliveira
New York Daily News

UNITED KINGDOM — A house in England nearly burned down Monday after the family’s husky inadvertently turned on a microwave that had food inside, according to the Essex County Fire & Rescue Service.

The hungry dog, who was home alone, reached the microwave on a kitchen counter and somehow hit the power button, officials said in a news release.

The husky that started the fire (not pictured) was not harmed during the incident. (Photo/Mohsen Pourbohlool, Unsplash)
The husky that started the fire (not pictured) was not harmed during the incident. (Photo/Mohsen Pourbohlool, Unsplash)

A packet of rolls that were left inside the microwave then began to burn, causing a small fire. But the owner of the two-story house in the town of Stanford-le-Hope luckily noticed the smoke in a video feed from a surveillance camera inside the home, which streamed on his cellphone, authorities said.

“When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke,” officials said in the release. “Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area — but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn’t be used to store food when they aren’t in use.”

The dog was not hurt.

———

©2019 New York Daily News

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2020 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.