Trending Topics

Sprinkler knocks down li-ion battery fire at Google campus

A lithium-ion battery in a box began to burn inside a building at the Mountain View campus

By Austin Turner
Bay Area News Group

MOUNTAIN VIEW — A battery malfunction led to tens of thousands of dollars in damages after a fire at a building on the Google campus in Mountain View on Monday, according to the city’s fire department.

About 25 employees evacuated around 11:37 a.m. and fire crews responded to an alarm at 2011 Stierlin Court located at the corporate headquarters of Google and its parent company, Alphabet Inc.

When firefighters arrived, they found a sprinkler head actively spouting water and found smoke located in a computer lab. After turning the sprinkler head off, they removed a charred office chair from the building.

Firefighters later determined the cause to be a malfunctioning lithium-ion battery in a cardboard box that was placed on the office chair.

After the fire had been extinguished, it was estimated that about $50,000 in damage was done, according to authorities. Nobody was injured as a result of the fire.

©2024 MediaNews Group, Inc.
Visit at
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Lithium-ion Battery Fire Resources